Desktop Reveal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Impulsive_Egg, Aug 7, 2018.

1. I feel so proud, I am getting people to recycle their bins, and together, as a whole community, we can improve the environment!
  2. just chilling try not to expose me
  3. I sEE STARDEW VALLEY
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  4. IT'S SUCH A CUTE GAME I LOVE IT SO MUCH
    ChespinLover77 likes this.

5. It took an impossibly long time to clean this up. Normally I just throw stuff in whatever place is ideal at the time...

Edit:
    I think I win the recycling bin award.

Edit 2: Sort of necro'd? Apologies. I don't look at dates too often.
    TomvanWijnen, AlexC__, 607 and 3 others like this.
  6. Nice thread!

I actually maintain 2 desktops although, in all honesty, I seldomly use the second. But I figured I'd include it anyway for coolness sake 8)

My normal workstation runs on Windows 7 and I suppose my desktop is bit cluttered. Kinda funny because this is fully 'force of habit'; most of the icons on my desktop are hardly being used.

Which came first: the screenshot or those icons in the middle? ;)

The background features Motoko Kusanagi who is the main character in the Ghost in the Shell series. I'm a huge fan of both the manga (which I got in both the original Japanese & English editions, I'm very proud of those) and the anime movies (Ghost in the Shell & GitS 2 "Innocence") & the series (Stand Alone Complex, both seasons). I don't really care about the modern stuff ('Arise' series and the (IMO pretty horrible) live action movie).

Pretty standard stuff here. Opera & Minecraft are the only 'dynamic' programs there, the rest is all pinned to my taskbar. I mostly rely on my pinned icons to start stuff, as well as the 'recently used' section in the start menu.

I also maintain a 2nd desktop but I don't use that very often because I'm usually logged onto the server using the command line (SSH putty session, which you can also see in the screenshot above: the icon with the 2 terminals and the lightning bolt in between).

My FreeBSD server, running KDE4

Normally I don't bother with installing a GUI ("Xorg") onto a server because I don't see the need for that (it also takes quite a while to build; I prefer building/compiling the software I use on this box manually). However, because this machine had decent resources and I figured that I could use this as a backup in case my Windows goes haywire I decided to also set up a GUI, and picked KDE for it.

Background is from another favorite anime series of mine: Neon Genesis Evangelion, I use this logo as avatar on nearly all tech forums which I frequent.

Not too much interesting stuff here, most of the software installed is stuff which I use for work (or related purposes), and there's also a little bit of leisure (games). And of course stuff such as Thunderbird & Firefox is also installed here.

I've mentioned using a 'LAN server' a couple of times, well, this is it :D
    607, Impulsive_Egg and ChespinLover77 like this.
  7. Not at all, it had been less than a week. Only worry about bumping an 'old' thread if the red text has appeared. But even then, in many cases it's better to reuse an existing thread than to create a new one, except if it's years old. (this is my opinion, not an official guideline)
    TomvanWijnen and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  8. WAIT I JUST REALIZED DRAGON
    I LOVE DRAGON AAAAAAAA
    MoreMoople likes this.
  9. Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  10. I'm seeing all these desktops and realizing mine is the most cluttered with shortcuts xD
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  11. guess i'll drop mine here

bro opera for life

edit: i know i need to empty my bin but its not trash day yet

ccleaner cleans it every week
    ShelLuser and MoreMoople like this.
  12. SHOW US SHOW US SHOW US SHOW US
  13. I don't have one currently yet
  14. oh lordy that scared me
  15. Then it did its job
  16. what a mood
  17. My desktop images are just shader screenshots taken on emc
    hopefully this image isn't too big
    Impulsive_Egg and MoreMoople like this.
  18. ZUP??! I have every single Zup except they don't work on my Mac, only on my laptop. I'll post my laptop screen later today, here's my Mac:
  19. Just found this thread again... figured I might as well post on it, as I've meant to do that anyways. :D

I think have the most original background... ;)

(click the image or open in a new tab and then click it to view it in its full glory. ;) - in case picture doesn't work: https://puu.sh/Bn7Bx/54ca83574b.png)

In all seriousness, yes, it's the stock background, but I do really like it - I really like blue as a colour, and this is just simple and not distracting yet nice. :)

All that black area is area that I can't use, because no monitor is there, but it is generated in the picture to fill in the missing spots.

I'm really happy with my setup, have nothing really to complain, except that it'd be cool to find a main monitor (the middle one below) with a better grey to grey time. :p Also, I'd like to use the left and right monitor more, as I sometimes tend to almost forget to use them... :p I do use them though, and yes, I do sometimes use all four at the same time - especially for some school work it's super convenient. :)

My desktop is simple, but effective. The top monitor is basically the "icons, music, and some folders" screen, super convenient - looking up is much quicker than far to the side, and so is moving the pointer to there. :) The "Games" folder (for shortcuts) is practically empty, and I actually somewhat wonder why I still have it on my desktop, but it's not in the way, so meh. :p Everything that doesn't fit in "School" and "Music" goes in the "Random stuff" folder, which is organised quite well actually - I don't have that much different stuff. Tip: I have a folder called "Lui", which is "lazy" in Dutch, really convenient to temporarily dump stuff in you don't know where to place for now, or when you're lazy. :p

Anyways, that's my "home". :)
    607, Jelle68, NathanRP and 1 other person like this.