Create a Hall of Banners Museum?

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by Lianail, Aug 20, 2020.

1. I'm considering creating a Hall of Banners Museum for EMC. I'd like to get opinions before taking on the effort.

The concept is a place to house examples of every banner that people want to contribute. There will be wings for different categories that will include (but not necessarily be limited to) Personal, Outpost & Empire, Artwork, Events. Each banner will be displayed with a plaque and a book on a lectern with more details.
    At the site, there will be a collection box for banner donations, so that people can contribute at any time. On a regular basis, I'll do my duties as curator to collect and display new banners that come in.

If this is something that you would like to visit (especially more than once) please provide feedback. If it's a positive thing that the community would enjoy, I would be glad to take this on.
  2. I love it. I had considered collecting outpost banners myself.
  3. Here's a sample of how each banner would be displayed. The following might both be in a wing for Heraldry, or put in separate wings for personal and outpost banners. The lectern would have a book with more details on the banner.

I've done these in the past on other servers and have accumulated hundreds of banners there.

I'll also include staff in the admin list so that they can make updates regardless of how active I am, so the museum can be maintained for years.
  4. There was an amazing collection of banners. I think it was from Kytula? She doesn't have any residences anymore, though. :(
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  5. Very cool idea. If you end up with it let me know, I would like to contribute.
  6. Sounds like a great idea. If you move forward with this, I’ll contribute mine to the cause! It’s exciting to see all the different combinations and designs others come up with. :)
    607 likes this.
  7. OK, I've got enough positive responses to make it worth the effort, I'll be starting up a project office on my residence on SMP7. I''ve set up a donation drop for banners. Please rename the banners on an anvil with the information below before dropping them in the donations. If they are not submitted like that, I have to make up stuff and list them as "anonymous"

Banner Title : Yourname
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and Raaynn like this.
  8. If you need any materials or something also, shoot me a pm.
  9. If anyone has any architectural inspiration for the building please send me a link. At the moment, I'm thinking something gothic.
    This will be intentionally not my signature architecture - round white towers with gold/yellow roof.
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  10. LOL. I just spent an hour looking at images of Gothic architecture. I never realized how close to it Neuschwanstein Castle (inspiration for my style) still was. So I'm now looking even farther affield. What is an architectural style that you have rarely seen re-created in minecraft that would be conducive to a large building? I'm looking at BioMorphic architecture, but it doesn't seem to be very space effective for the type of display areas that will be needed. Please send links for pintrest or other such sites of IRL architecture that can be used to base a style on. The building in EMC will be unique, not a reproduction.
    607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  11. I've put up a donation drop at my residence on SMP7 (/v Lianail) for banners and materials. Please see the post #7 above for details on donating banners.
    I'm looking at sandstone and glass as the primary materials.
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.