[CONVERSATION] Promo Market

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Aliyaxoxo, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Now this post is not trying to cause any drama (like no joke I know I do that a lot but I'm being for real here). I feel like EMC is trying to reduce the market for the promos that have been released recently, and I'm wondering if that's just my opinion or if other people agree. We're seeing a lot of re-releases of items, the removal of years on certain items, and now with this event (and there was another recent event but I can't remember which one) we are removing the ability to keep the "boxes" that bundles come in, which would reduce the market that will later develop around bundled items being worth more, because they're uncommon and much harder to find. Also, one of my favorite memories of mumble was one day we were in mumble (can't exactly remember who all was there but I know Krysyy was) and she was complaining about Aikar releasing as many I-Day items as he did for 2014 because it was going to mess with that economy, so I know she feels (or at least did in the past) that we shouldn't be building such an economy on these rare items. Just go ahead and drop opinions below, and maybe have a little (friendly) debate about it. (I'm not joking here for real imma keep this civil)
    Ryan_A_ likes this.
  2. The promo market is a constant balance. Items that we plan to re-release are done this way because of the nature of the item being something we want players to actually use, not hoard. The cupids bow and meteor bow are prime examples of this. On the other end, you have items that aren't any use other than as decorative hoarding pieces that usually keep their individuality, such as the declaration and the firework collections. We try to give something in each of these categories during the year to maintain a steady balance with the promo market.

Now about the bundles, this auto claiming isn't new and has been this way a while now. The bundles were never meant to be promos themselves and threw off the balance we were maintaining on hoard vs use items. So we fixed it.

And yes, the fiasco with the 11+ promos released for one holiday was a mistake and will hopefully not happen again. We don't want to flood the market with tons of custom items, but prefer to release a steady stream across the year.

^offical staff position on promos
    Ryan_A_, 607 and EmpireMall like this.
  3. Haha, I like this, being quite the opposite of the notice moderators generally have to put in. ;)
  4. It's relatively new, it's from December 2016.

Does this mean for celebrations like 100k members and such we won't get complete tool sets anymore?
    EmpireMall likes this.
  5. That's more than just a holiday, so it may still release complete sets. The large celebrations for member numbers are counted separate from the holiday promo balance which is what I was referring to. Sorry if that caused confusion.
    PetezzaDawg likes this.