Compass memory

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Nerfzooka, Jan 29, 2017.

?

Do you use the "Compass set" command?

Yes, it's awesome. 5 vote(s) 50.0%
No, It sucks. 3 vote(s) 30.0%
What is the "Compass set" command? 3 vote(s) 30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. If you sign off and come back the compass doesn't remember its setting. Beds remember, you don't have to reset them everytime you return. I often forget this fact and travel in the wrong direction many kilometers before I realize I'm going the wrong way. Many deaths and much lost game time could be prevented.
    By the way, the compass sometimes points to waste center when you are closer to a different outpost.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  2. Fascinating. I never use the compass when I can see with f3 which direction I'm going and I rely on /map.
  3. When I type /map it says:
    Lost? Visit the SMP4 Live Map to navigate to Town!
    Visit smp4map.emc.gs to view the map!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. F3 can tell you which direction you are facing, but not how far to your target. Compass can.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. If you also know the coordinates of where you are going, you can find distances but that is additional work for you.

If you click that link, it will pull up the live map for you to use but it has to do so in your browser.

While you wait for the compass to be fixed, you could try using something like Xaero's Minimap.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I like your idea but there is some consistency here. Because basically nothing remembers its settings (also think of /buildmode), perhaps apart from player groups but even that doesn't go on forever (invites expire).

So I'm going with +0 on this. I like the idea, but I'm personally a bit indifferent because this is simply the way most things behave.

You make it sound as if the compass system is broken and I can assure you that it's not ;)

btw Voxelmap, is also nice ;) I personally prefer combining Forge with LiteLoader because the latter usually has plugins which are more lightweight with their resource demands.
  7. To Nerfzooka it is broken through. I used LiteLoader and Voxel Map a while ago but stopped when LiteLoader took an eternity to update. I also have some bad memories trying to set it up for making mods. I will have to give it another look though. The concept of LiteLoader seems really nice.
    ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  8. We all have different schedules, some can play for hours, some have to break up gametime into many parts. For those who have little time to play a memory for compass and buildmode and other tools might save them a lot of game time.

Live Map is super useful and colorful and up-to-date. Don't ever shut it down. Add more features to that. It was my deciding factor in my move to the Empire.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. That Voxelmap is pretty fun, it has lots of options and programmable waypoints. Thanks for the suggestion jkrmnj .
    BTW the Voxelmap loses it's memory more frequently than the empire compass. If you just tp to a different outpost, you lose your Voxelmap waypoints. At least the Empire compass only forgets when you sign off.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.