[Community Event] Staff Appreciation 2017

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by ShelLuser, Jul 1, 2017.

?

Staff appreciation?!

Poll closed Jul 29, 2017.
YEAH! 21 vote(s) 56.8%
NUUU! 2 vote(s) 5.4%
I wan to be staff! ;-) 14 vote(s) 37.8%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. It is that time of the year again!

* I used the old logo, my bad, I'll change this soonish! <mutters about stupid Mojang>

Hi gang!

So last year I started this thing, and I got tons of responses. And as you can see here I plan on making this an annual event. Now that we're on the 1st of July I think this is an excellent time to hold this event once more!

What is this?

This is the EMC communities way of showing and/or sharing our appreciation for what the staff in general are doing for us. If you're more familiar with other Minecraft servers then I'm pretty convinced that this is going to confuse you: EMC staff are quite different from those others. This should become quite clear in the way us players interact with them and what they can (or can't) do for us.

Sure, generally speaking staff are here to uphold law and order, that is most definitely an important part of their job. But they're trying to be a whole lot more than that. You can turn to staff for just about everything. If you need help then staff might be a good place to start. Although I also want to point your attention to the community: there are probably plenty of situations where you might not need staff at all but can just as well ask a fellow player for some help or advice.

But why an appreciation event?

Simple really: because we tend to take staff for granted. A very simple example: when I notice something going wrong on the auctions and step in a bit to try and help the players out then I'm quite sure that you'll agree that I didn't have to do that. I went out of my ways to help out. Yet when a staff member does the exact same thing then it remains to be seen if they get the same kind of appreciation. After all: they're staff, so that's what we expect them to do, right?

It is still my believe that this situation isn't fair for staff when it comes to their efforts. Sure... they signed up for this themselves, so they more or less got what they asked for. But is that really a valid reason not to appreciate the effort they're putting into all this? I beg to differ and as such... here we go for a second round! :cool:

Note: Even if you don't like staff (hey, each to their own!) you should still consider one important thing: they're a major force in what makes this server tick. Like them or not, some of the staff efforts keep other players motivated (think about the official EMC events). And well, you might like my survey expansions...

Changes from last year

Last year I started this whole thing and some players told me that they felt the whole thing was leaning a bit too much towards favoritism. For example: you could pick your favorite staff member and share why, but... were you two friends? Have you actually needed or used the staff members services? Was your problem actually solved?

So I added a mandatory question to try and resolve that as well as an optional section about your general opinion on EMC staff.

Prizes?

Purely symbolic but an option to donate to the event will be set up soon (blame my impatience, I wanted to post this before dinner). The main prize is a signed book by the event organizer (which would be me) which serves as proof that the staff member in question was the communities #1 pick where our appreciation is concerned.

Rules
    • Please don't vote using an alt, only your main account.
      • If I discover an alt in the voting results I will remove that vote and that of the main.
    • Staff members: Feel free to vote for your team members, but do notvote for yourself.
      • If I discover a self-vote I will have to disqualify you and remove you from the contest.
    • All your answers will be kept strictly private. The only staff member I will share this with (assuming she's interested, and I have a strong hunch that she is) is Krysyy. If you can't trust Krysyy to keep things private, then who can you?
      • Fun fact: I have tried to poke a little bit with some staff members about last years event. But through "other means" (no comment). I couldn't get any relevant information.
    SO... without further ado....

(click link above!)
    Donations?
    /v 9231

If you wish to donate items then please visit /v 9231 on SMP4. There you'll find a DC in which you can dump any items you'd like to make available.

Rupee donations?

Rupee donations are also possible. Just pay them to me while mentioning the staff event: /pay shelluser xxx staff event.

Something to keep in mind: There could be more than one winner and I reserve the right to divide any donations as I see fit (so in a fairly fair way ;)). Of course: if you want to specifically donate to someone ("the winner") then that's possible. Just drop me a PM.

(why does this forum always muck up my formatting? <mutter, mutter> :D)

The above picture will be updated when there's something new :)

Rupee donations
    10k - BlinkyBinky
  2. Hooray to all the staff and all the stuff they do to help EMC become amazing as it is ;)
  3. What kind of donations you want? Items or rupees? If rupees who do I send them to?

Thank you for doing this.
  4. You are right, I am interested, always.

And the staff know that I'm far too tight-lipped to even try to get info out of me.
  5. Don't forget about some of our newer staff members, guys–I hear chickeneer just got mod, congrats to him!!

(And thanks for hosting as always, Shel, we appreciate the appreciation :p)
    ThaKloned, 607, Dufne and 8 others like this.
  6. Thanks for hosting these cool awards/events. I miss some of those community awards and other contests, but you are certainly making a change on EMC :) Might submit later
    SkeleTin007 and ShelLuser like this.
  7. Just to clarify on something: the information in the survey is based on the staff list wiki page (time of writing). So if I have left some moderators out then that's the reason.

Also (just noticed that I could have included this, maybe I'll edit later on): I did exclude senior staff (because they don't really participate in the game themselves) as well as developers (because I get the impression that they don't necessarily perform staff duties).
    SkeleTin007 and WardleDeBoss like this.
  8. So yeah, since I don't always like bumping I have to think of something else :D

Last year, a little after 1.10 had came out, I started focusing my attention on structure blocks and wanted to 'do' something with them. I ended up building an EMC tribute which, from a design perspective, isn't super special but it does have a nice surprise: when clicking the buttons you'll get the vanilla equivalent of the starting items, the voter armor and/or the voter tools.

Left: Tribute 2016, Right: Tribute 2017 (updated)

Some players downloaded it, some also thought it was fun, and a few asked me if I was going to keep the build up to date. I wasn't planning on doing so at that time but you know.. things change.

So here you are: release 2017, as can be seen above. Original founders on the top corners, Aikar & Krysyy on top with 'mention' of Maxarias due to history reasons (and the fact that she's obviously left an impression on EMC).

Developers on the right (you can see there's one extra now), senior staff in the middle (basically Matheus left and Hashhog got added) and moderators at the bottom (you can also see a small decline in moderators in comparison to last year).

New in this years version is my more advanced use of structure blocks as shown above. One of the major problems with "structure imports" is getting the y value correct. So I adopted a specific method which does this automatically for you.

All you have to do is set the y value in the structure block used to load this to 0. The top layer will be loaded, the observer block will be triggered because of the load and that will trigger the other structure block which will load the bottom part. But there's more... On top of the structure block is some redstone dust, which will trigger the command block. And that has a command which will remove all four "utility" blocks, leaving you with only the tribute build.

Warning: Because of this automation you can't rotate the build. If you want it rotated it might be best to import it first, then copy & paste elsewhere. If there's an actual demand/need I can release another version, but something tells me that won't be the case ;)

You can download the EMC tribute here, from my website (direct link, no ads nor other nonsense). It's a ZIP archive which contains both required structure files (.nbt).

• Go to your world save folder (start looking in %appdata%\.minecraft\saves) and inside you should find a "structures" folder. If there isn't one make it. Then place both files there.
      • Just to clarify: notable subfolders in a world save are "advancements", "data", "players" and of course "structures".
    • Give yourself a structure block: /give @p structure_block.
    • Place it, open the interface (right click on it) and follow these steps:
      • Switch the block to 'load' mode by clicking the 'Data' button until it says 'Load' (left bottom corner).
      • Set 'Include entities' to ON (at the right side, above the LOAD button).
      • Enter this as name (on top): emc_tribute2017
      • You can customize the X & Z coordinate (Relative position) but make sure that Y is set to 0 (middle number, it's 1 by default).
      • When satisfied click 'LOAD', the interface closes and you should see an outline.
    Examples:
    This is the interface of the structure block

Here it loaded & prepared the structure (see outline)

If you're not satisfied with the location then open the interface again and change the X & Z values only (so the first and third numbers under the 'Relative Position'. Click 'Done' when you made the changes).

And when you are satisfied open the interface again (right click in the structure block) and click 'LOAD' again:

Tadaaah! ;)

As said this build serves 2 purposes... First you're obviously showing your appreciation for the Empire Minecraft Server. But second...

You can get hold of some of EMC tools in vanilla Minecraft (note: unbreakable items are actually unbreakable, try it yourself!) :cool:

Hope some of you will enjoy this!
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  9. I can't honestly say I'm not an alt.
    PhoenixAffinity and Sachrock like this.
  10. You're my alt dude
    ShelLuser and PhoenixAffinity like this.
  11. That's cute.

12. I swear this thread has a lot of the same stuff it did last time..... I feel like I'm going insane!!!!!!
    SkeleTin007, ShelLuser and _Rem__ like this.
  13. I am wholeheartedly behind this... let me know when donation box is ready please.
    ShelLuser and PhoenixAffinity like this.
  14. I poked Aya (this is not a bump, honest :p)

More seriously: I'll be up next weekend. I somewhat stalled it a bit because last year there wasn't much interest in donations and.. I'm actually plotting my posts here a little bit (every post is effectively a bump) by spreading some out. But the donation and (small) storage for it is planned this weekend.

Oh, right, almost forgot.. uhm.. bump? :D
    607 likes this.
  15. I hear the best gifts to donate are renamed items or books with knock knock jokes....
  16. This is a great idea, though I almost hate we have to pick a favorite. I will have to get it down to one from my last two and I had a few to select from. All of the staff is very good and I've had great help in the forums and in game. My thanks definitely goes out to each one for all they do from coding, testing, supporting and putting up with the rest of us. It is a gift to the rest of us that go about our digging, moving, killing and building without the requirement of having to stop for others. NOTE: the EMC community is great and most of us would stop to help someone, but unlike staff, we decide whether to do it or not with each situation.
    ShelLuser, SkeleTin007 and Eviltoade like this.
  17. So yesterday we set out to think about how we should set up the donation :)

We worked until deep in the night and came up with this:

If you want to donate to this event: thanks a bunch in advance, it'll be highly appreciated!

Go to /v 9231 on SMP4 and you'll notice the chest right away. Also see the OP, I updated it, also to include ways for rupee donations.
    AncientTower likes this.
  18. Ok, so where do we put the donations once we get to the chest? Ho can I identify its the correct chest?

Thought I would start with some Remote Shop Signs anyhow.... I will try to figure this out once I can locate the residence for donations....
  19. And I'm going to give this a small bump.

Some people asked me when the event will end, good question, basically when the poll above comes to a close. So the 29th of July (next weeks weekend). Seemed fair to me to leave this running for at least a few weeks so that plenty of people get a chance to vote.
  20. So, it says "Who is your favourite staff member?" (actually, it says 'favorite' :mad:),
    but it actually means "Who is your favourite moderator?".
    BlinkyBinky and ShelLuser like this.