Buhbyes EMC (closed)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VirtualJunky, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And here I thought that you were going to become the next moderator.
    tedrocker, goreman2000, 607 and 4 others like this.
  2. I don't really use skype.. but i guess i'll have to, you give me no choice. :)
    Bro_im_infinite and SnowyBearr like this.
  3. I see your concerns listed, and EMC does have its flaws in the system, respect on these servers are completely based on what you rank you are, that's been something everyone's had to adjust to.

However, I kind of don't get how you're making a strong argument in your post...You say that we can't keep new and old players, so you decide to leave because of that? Heck, I've been on here for roughly two years vs. you who has been on for 6 weeks, and you've got a higher rank, which means staff or someone saw value in you. Saying they didn't was really kind of throwing yourself down the drain, it would not have been anything I would ever do without planning who would react to it.

Shame to see you go.
    FDNY21, Jake_bagby and SnowyBearr like this.
  4. Bye, Snowy. It is a shame that you are leaving. You had a lot of potential to do great things here. I wish you good luck with life and hope to see you back here one day.
  5. Are you kidding me? I'm pretty surprised and shocked.. Well thanks a lot... Good luck further/elsewhere
    southpark347 and SnowyBearr like this.
  6. Regarding the contribution team issue, I know you were promised training as was I and I never got it either. I just took some initiative and got on with it. I do think this is an issue and there should be more guidance for new team members. I'm assuming they told you that Jack would give you training, but he is currently on 'exam leave'. Surely there would be someone else to help new team members. Although I am not the most experienced, you could have come to me to ask questions and I would give you some guidance.

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving, I hope someday you do change your mind and come back. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. :)
    FDNY21, 607, southpark347 and 4 others like this.
  7. We were promised training? :p

Sorry to be so abrupt, but, you can't expect to be made a dev after being on the server for a month. The EMC system is an interconnected tangle of code, and making you a dev(especially for the site) is basically promoting you to admin.

With some of your other comments, I just don't think EMC is the right place for you. Aikar works in his own unique way, and to prove yourself to him, you need to not just show your development skill. You need to be able to work on his team. When you apply for a Jo in the real world, are you employed just on what you can do? No. Your employer looks for references, they make sure you will do what they want on time,that you're respectful etc. One month isn't enough to gauge this.

Finally, making a thread like this is just going to ruin your case. For all you know, Aikar may have you in mind, and was just wanting to gauge you a bit more. If that was the case,you've ruined your chances.

Again, sorry to be so abrupt. And good luck with whatever you get up to in the future.
    SoulPunisher and blackdown10 like this.
  8. that.. was ironic. very, very ironic.

I don't remember seeing you around, but it looks like you're fairly accomplished and sorry for the *ironic?* situation.
  9. You have completely missed the point. For starters, when it comes to a Minecraft server, or any coding project in general, it's not an 'all or nothing' situation. He could have just as easily given me a secluded project unconnected to anything, like I dunno the new Wiki which doesn't even have accounts connected to the main forums?

Even if for whatever reason he gave me complete access of a copy of all the custom code, and I just completely muck it up, guess what? It's just a copy and it wouldn't change a dang thing, it would be a 'patch' that would never be added to the live server, and be deleted.

Furthermore, by your logic because you bring jobs into it, you are basically saying that if I wanted to work at Walmart, I would have to stand around for more then a month at Walmart before I have 'shown I am experienced'. How the hell does playing Minecraft show that I can code? It doesn't, because the two things are completely unrelated. Being given a test project to work on shows what a person is capable of.

Which brings me back a loop to my original point. I claimed to have the experience in both Minecraft and Website development, and wasn't even given a chance to prove what I can do. This has absolutely nothing to do with how long I have played Minecraft or on this server, anyone can build a house, not everyone can code a website.
  10. a week ago you made a post about how amazing and awesome and lovely and perfect this place was... ??? :(:confused:
    FDNY21, 607, southpark347 and 4 others like this.
  11. Goodbye Snowy, I will always remember you for having the cutest dang profile picture I have ever seen, and for the way you acted the times you were on SMP8: always kind, courteous, and willing to help. Iwish you could stay longer, but I guess everyone has to leave at some point. I wish you luck in all of your future endeavors. :)
  12. Sorry to see you leave, and I see what you see almost All people I used to know on EMC have left for other things and the new players don't stay that long. Its pritty sad how many people Iv know for 839 days and have left. They say there is 120+k people but quight a bit of those people have left or logged in got a plot then never came back on
  13. Yeah, I am not criticizing the server, or the community at all. Love them both honestly and it was a hard choice for me to leave. However both of the main issues I mentioned are real issues which aren't really debatable, it sort of creates the 'perfect storm' together. Unless at least one of them is eliminated, this server has no way to grow and can only get smaller.
    southpark347, slash14459 and Kyzoy like this.
  14. I'm not sure how you can reconcile those two statements.
    SnowyBearr, SoulPunisher and mba2012 like this.
  15. That's why I brought references in. Your employer looks for past experience, they don't make you stand there for months. I forgot to mention this earlier but devs are given moderator powers, so it's not just a matter of what you can code. You need to be responsible, and you can't be the sort of person who goes and posts threads like this one.

And to address your comments of people leaving and joining. There's always people leaving, just some choose to be vocal about it, and that's what's happened recently, there's no more, probably less people leaving. And EMC has been getting huge growth recently, you just haven't been on long enough to realize. A year ago, there was next to nobody player, and look at it now. The issue is, not enough people are joining the forums and really engaging in the community, and to us who are, it makes it look like there's not many people playing.

I'm going to have to dispute this. These days, a lot of people lack the skills to build a house, and an increasing number of people can code a website. Building a house can take a lot of skill, as can website development. I'd say more, but I'm on an iPad, which makes it hard...
  16. I know nobody that can build a house, and I know alot of people who can code a website. I'm not exactly sure why you thought that statement was true, or whatever, but... erm... :confused:

I don't know if anybody has pointed this out yet, but developers are given moderator powers and you need to prove your worth to have those. Its been a long time since a moderator who had only been here 4-8 weeks got their job - its not 6 month old EMC in 2012 anymore.
    mba2012 and SnowyBearr like this.
  17. *cough*Aikar and Max*cough*
    Kyzoy likes this.
  18. You don't know anyone that can build a house in Minecraft? :p
    southpark347 and Kyzoy like this.
  19. NZScruffy.
    southpark347 and Kyzoy like this.
  20. I believe he was closer to 10-12 weeks :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.