Bring Back Community Appreciation Award

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emfs_ad, Jul 23, 2017.

?

Should Staff Bring back the Community Appreciation Award?

Yes 12 vote(s) 85.7%
No 2 vote(s) 14.3%
  1. Bring Back the Community Appreciation Award
    The Community Appreciation Contest hasn't happened since June of 2015 and I'm curious to know why we stopped awarding the players who represented the Empire Community the best.

Many players in the EMC community help players out and for that, the community of EMC is grateful! However, there are players that stand out in the community who go the extra mile to help players enjoy their time on Empire Minecraft who, I think, deserve to be acknowledged and rewarded.

I would like to formally suggest to bring back the Community Defender Award so we can appreciate the standout players who are an example of the EMC community.

Wiki Article on the award and event: https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/community-defender/
    EnderMagic1, ShelLuser and Awwwwstin like this.
  2. Its coming back after emc's birthday, which currently has my undivided attention. I had to make some changes though because the last time it was ran there were issues with abusing the vote system, as well as the continuing confusion of voting period, which wasn't working. An overhaul of a lot of things is actually coming back post 6th birthday so stay tuned.
    607, deathconn and tinkao like this.
  3. Feels a bit awkward for me to comment on this but...

I think it's cool that this sentiment is living and I totally agree with it. However, being one of those players who often helps out others I do want to stress out that winning awards is pretty much the last thing on my mind, and I can't help think that the same goes for many others as well.

(edit):

I'm actually a bit indifferent to this. Yes, seeing the community put a stamp of approval on your work is an awesome feeling. But at the same time it also feels awkward. Because it's not the drive for me to do what I do, and I'd somewhat dislike it if my drive got picked up in the wrong way.

I honestly always felt a little awkward when these events were ongoing. Thankfully many people know me by now and know what I often do, but even so I also often felt a bit awkward because of it. You know: also the warnings about "be aware of people who only start helping because the event just started", stuff like that.

As much as I liked the moment of winning the last one I'll be perfectly honest here and can also say I didn't particularly missed this one either :D
    607 likes this.
  4. I definitely understand where you're coming from. Players who go the extra mile shouldn't expect a reward, and they may not even want the reward, but acknowledging it would be an excellent example for the rest of the community on how they should act. There are some players that don't connect with the community as others and a contest like this one may "shake them out of it" for a lack of a better phrase. :)
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. I love this idea... I was not here when it was in use... However, we as a community can offer up something similar. I'd like to point out https://empireminecraft.com/threads/gold-medal-of-kindness.72555/ which is being put on by
    NDubb424

... I suggest we all use what we have out there to make the most of this new "non-staff" required "event" per say. If you have someone to nominate, please do so.

to nominate:
    drop off at his smp2 residence
    PM him from the web site
    (last option) post to the thread above

This is likely planned through the end of the year right and if we get a good following/activity then we'll continue it in to next year.
  6. Honestly never been a huge fan of this. Not because what it represents but because there are many people that do good, just not publicly and often get missed. Sometimes these feel more like a popularity contest. Don't get me wrong the winners of these are deserving for sure, just my thoughts.. (don't hate me).
    synth_apparition, deathconn and 607 like this.
  7. Yeah, I don't miss it either. :)
    (most of my feelings and thoughts regarding this have been summed up by ThaKloned)
  8. I've thought this too. I feel like people are encouraged to participate, but they have no real nominations, so they just nominate some of the well-known players. But, I really do miss all the contests and awards on the forums.
    deathconn and ThaKloned like this.
  9. I get both your thoughts and it should not be for popularity. You're for sure right that many people will accidentally be overlooked but some things will stick out over others I'd think... Someone gifts you something of pretty significant value. Someone uses a res they have for a community purpose spending their own time and resources for others. Somebody helps every new player when they join even at taking away from what they were hoping to do. ...or heck someone puts on an event that is epic and makes your day. I think ShelLuser put in some of the best nominations possibly last month as they were not specifically things normally taken as kindness but maybe promoting the server or activity and involvement. However, this is my opinion on this matter. I don't think I'm right or wrong, nor do I think having a differing opinion on this is right or wrong.
    deathconn and ThaKloned like this.