Bioms on the Live Map

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by IM4, May 4, 2018.

?

would you like to see Biom IDs on the Live Map?

Yes 2 vote(s) 25.0%
No 5 vote(s) 62.5%
Not Sure, need more info 1 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. I would like to be able to ID the bioms on the Live Map. It would be great to hover over a map section and have the Biom type show up where the Location coordinates are . At present I am doing screen shots of map locations and ID the biom when I am in that area but this is still a hit or miss method since some bioms on the map can look similar to each other when they are subsets.
  2. lol I don’t wanna be that guy but it’s Biomes (sorry)
  3. The live map is something that's fairly difficult for EMC to add functionality to as it's not maintained by EMC. I'm not even convinced that Dynmap (which powers the live map) even has the ability to recognise biomes.

Surely you can just put the map in 3D mode to see what each biome is?
  4. Once a person goes out and looks around a bit that person can look at the map and pretty accurately determine which biome they are looking at.

Vote No.

-BZ-
    Tuqueque likes this.
  5. I'm voting +0 because... as Zulu also mentioned: Dynmap does indeed recognize different biomes but it already shows you the differences.

Still; you can indeed change the template file(s) so that it displays all this in a different way but, I also fail to see the point. Once you recognize the different sections it's easy to find what you need. Some obvious examples...
    • Gray / white usually hints at extreme hills.
    • Lots of gray usually hints at an extreme hills M.
    • Yellow(ish) indicates a desert (duh!) ;)
    • Brown / greenish indicates swamps.
    • Dozens of green dots packed together hints at a roofed forrest.
    • A medium green area with several dark dots hints at a savanna.
    • Darker (but still somewhat bright) green with plenty of dots hints at a jungle biome.
    • Green with many brown / light brown patches hints at .... Mega taiga.
    • A gray island with plenty of red dots hints at a mooshroom island.
    • Bright orange with many light and dark patches hints at a mesa biome.
    • White hints at a snow landscape (duh!) ;)
    • But: white with plenty of blue specks hints at an Ice spikes biome (lots of packed ice there).
    ... those are some of the biomes I manage to recognize these days.
  6. I am not sure if this is needed so I will say no to this
  7. I've looked over the dynmap plugin and maintained it before and it's not possible to put the biome tags of what you're currently looking at. I guess it is harder to look at a biome when it's flat. 3d option helps if it's not as distinguishable. The third option is to actually go out to the cords that you found and look at f3.

Hope that helps
    SkeleTin007 and Tuqueque like this.