Driver issues on laptop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Not if it's identical, but the chance of that would be extremely low, right? :p There are many different audio cards and video cards, and the ones integrated in laptops are probably likely to be different than the ones you'll find first when buying them on themselves. But yeah, it's probably not an option, as this is a laptop and not a desktop pc.
  2. I wasn't going to work on this this evening, but then I wanted to anyway. :p And I actually have some interesting findings!

I turned on flight mode, and uninstalled all my audio drivers. If it asked me if I wanted to remove the files, I clicked Yes. Then I rebooted my pc, and checked device management again: there were two items there, High Definition Audio-apparaat and Intel(R) Display Audio. I had no speaker audio, but the audio from my headphones seemed to have no issues! I have now turned off flight mode, and the JBL GO things are back. The generic 'High Definition Audio' thingy is gone. The Philips thing is also back, but disabled. After a while, Realtek is also back, and we're up to full again. Actually, no: no NVIDIA so far.
    Let me confirm if the issues have come back...
    Yes, they have!

This is actually pretty funny, I recorded something, then recorded the recording playing back, and then did that again a few times...
    Here's the original: listen to 1:28 - 1:33 of this video. https://youtu.be/WB0f1aUnYw0
    Then here's it playing from my speakers, recorded with Windows WASAPI in Audacity. (there is no Stereo Mix option, which is what I've bought a new audio card for in the past, but the WASAPI option should do the same thing) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WaVDn-METgdFEfg1jWhbIpC-8AUdZdYL
    Doesn't sound quite the same, does it? Well, to make sure, I recorded it again.
    Here is it in its second iteration, in case you weren't sure that the quality was degrading. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UOuw_MyG6h-fwmeztMuDEftGsH1Y1jgo
    And just for fun, here is the 7th. :D
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tDxPdzNgkvg5FJps4_xrtQJUWLwdfsk3
  3. There was no difference between using the DDU and removing the drivers manually.
    One more thing I could think of: what if I could find good drivers and download them before removing the current ones? In that case, maybe I could install those before Windows would reinstall the faulty ones, and maybe it wouldn't do it then?
  4. Both I consider extreme measures, but I would rather take a day or two to reinstall Windows and all necessary programs than send my laptop away and lose access to it for a timespan. So I would like to ask both Tom and JDHallows, and besides anyone who reckons they have the knowledge to add: do you still think there is a significant chance that a Windows reinstallation could fix my driver issues? I consider it very unlikely, but then again I have no idea what more sending it away could do (to get to know that I'd first need to send an e-mail).
  5. Oh, something else I just thought of: you said that it was a fresh installation of Windows, right? But you also said that it was from a company, right? Did they also have different computers? Perhaps they put an installation of Windows on it with some drivers already included, messing up stuff (source that this can suck: myself lol. If you install a new motherboard, it is recommended to eventually reinstall Windows, I learned the hard way. :p).
  6. It was from an individual, right? Yes, it was. :p
    But then wouldn't the DDU help?
  7. 1) Somewhere you said that it was from a company or so, but it was indeed from an individual - so "iunno"? :p

2) It should. I've used it multiple times myself, both effectively and ineffectively. :p One of the ineffective times was when I upgraded my motherboard+cpu+ram; new audio drivers just cannot be installed, whatever I try. In general, the OS is less stable (irregular crashes when utilising the parts more than a little bit), so I'm just going to reinstall it (and move to Windows 10, sadly) after my exams are done (I was going to reinstall anyways, but the crashes and driver crap is just another piece of motivation :p). When looking at my driver list (some command in CMD) I found countless old drivers, which is clearly not supposed to be the case.

That made me think of something: do that command. Look at the drivers, and check (first broadly) if there appears to be anything that does NOT belong on your laptop. If so, the OS has residue from other drivers, and a reinstall of the OS would be ideal.

The command: (this is a direct copy for some advice I was given for my personal problems - this is by the way also something you could try (for your own hardware, though, obviously :p). :))

607 likes this.
  8. I will/would try that, but have one problem:
    Well, what driver? I don't want to let it get the driver automatically as it will be wrong again, but then what do I get it? The same one, but manually? That's pointless. Should I maybe send an e-mail to Dell?
  9. Ugh, I can't even use VEGAS Pro. :( Time to boot my old laptop... I will compile the list of symptoms (this one included!) and write the e-mail to Dell this weekend.
  10. Have you done ""type pnputil -e to list the installed driver packages"" and ""That made me think of something: do that command. Look at the drivers, and check (first broadly) if there appears to be anything that does NOT belong on your laptop. If so, the OS has residue from other drivers, and a reinstall of the OS would be ideal."" yet?
    607 likes this.
  11. I had not, but I have now. Not the second though, as I have no idea what might belong and what not. It seems to show less information than the device manager.
    Why quadruple quotes though? :p
  12. When I plug in my HDMI lead for additional monitor my sound turns off as it thinks I have plugged in headphones, so I have to click on the speaker icon on my desktop bar bottom right and select speakers / hp (IDT high Def... and that works maybe you could check that, just in case. Hope you get it sorted.
    607 likes this.
  13. Well, this is new!

Hopefully these are actually different from the ones that are installed.
  14. Ugh, they just asked me the same irrelevant question for the third time, it's hard to stay polite... but they might actually be able to help me once they ask a capable person within Dell, so I don't want to offend them.
  15. Well, I'm interested now, funny- the other laptop I have is the same thing... I haven't read fully this post, but I always notice when I start/pause/unpause a video, there's a very annoying *click pop* when i do..... Sounds similar. I'll be sifting through this in a little bit.... (I can't play audio through the normal speakers, even though it's good, because the click's a higher pitch) Thought it was just a normal thing for this computer. Thank you for bringing this up.
    And yes. I know. I'm slow.

(Mine is not as bad as yours, it delays for a second with a high pitched click, then plays after five seconds with a similar pop, but it is still annoying...)

I may've missed this- what graphics issues are/were you having?
  16. I'm not sure if you'll get much out of reading this thread, to be honest. :p I haven't yet got any positive results, and some of the conversation between Tom and me was done in our pm.

With regards to your edit: Yeah, this thread was for the audio issues only at first. Here's the list with symptoms I sent to Dell Cares:
    Audio:
    When I record the audio that comes out of my speakers, it becomes apparent that it is amplified, with an extra boost in the bass.
    When I am using earbuds and audio plays for the first time in a while (a minute or two), the audio doesn't play for the first fraction of a second, and then all that was delayed is played at once, resulting in a loud pop before the audio resumes as normal.
    Video:
    When using Minecraft, it crashes after at most a few minutes.
    When using VEGAS Pro, idem. When either of them crash my Google Chrome windows go black for some time.
    In OBS Studio, some windows under Window Capture show up as black: eg. Google Chrome, but not all, eg. Task Manager.
    In a certain video game, if I change the brightness in the settings, after a second it is countered by the video drivers and the brightness is displayed at the default setting again (so I cannot effectively change the brightness in the game, although I can adjust the setting).
  17. If you change tabs, from Minecraft to Chrome, does the brightness flicker then adjust?
    Do you use night vision at all?
  18. It might have before I fixed the default behaviour of everything. :p
    I'm not sure whaf you mean by night vision, but I do use f.lux. It doesn't cause any issues, though. In general, I have no issues with my display, fortunately. :)
  19. Ah, good. Never mind, then. thanks :p
    607 likes this.
  20. We might be able to help you with some issues, though. :)