Ask me Anything.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by synth_apparition, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Ok, I got a question for you: where's my prize? :D

lol, ok, a tad more serious now: what made you decide to apply for the contribution team?
  2. Maybe water. Although fire would be pretty cool to burn my enemies with I guess.
    I'll give you the long version in which I shall admit my wrongdoings and whatnot. Might want to sit down with a cup of tea or something for this one :p

I was a staff member of the original EMC wiki, back when it was a third party thing. I wanted to make a website focused on EMC where people could upload pictures of their Minecraft builds back in May 2012, and JackBiggin offered me a partnership kind of thing because he had a similar idea and wanted to integrate it with the wiki.

Two-ish years down the line, after working on something with JackBiggin and mba2012, the site version of the wiki came about (I don't think we ever told it was going to be a thing until an uncomplete version showed up in the hot bar one day for a few minutes) and our stuff was cancelled after the wiki got released. I was, somewhat understandably (I do regret being as angry as I was as I could have easily just continued the stuff with just me and mba), pissed off. Me and mba approached Jack, he gave us access to some stuff he'd done with his websites, it seemed to be all good there. I remember approaching IcecreamCow sometime afterwards asking for an honorary contribution team title and being denied and blowing a casket, though. I bloated the role I played in the wiki being made in my head because I had a huge ego back then.

A quick note on the ego: Back in late 2012, things were rough. I had self-confidence issues that were getting worse thanks to years of being bullied and it carrying over into high school, girl issues, self-confidence issues because of the girl issues, I was desperate for attention for some reason and I came here to get it (the most reasonable explanation for the shit I posted here back then). The way I dealt with this stuff got me banned here. I appealed some months later, IcC fought my case for me (I'm very thankful for that now because, apparently, the other staff members didn't want me back as I caused drama and disruption), I got unbanned, things were good. I fixed those issues by, you guessed it, inflating my ego - telling myself I was better than everyone else, I deserve better than other people, I'm on top of the world, that stuff. Never, ever do this. Please.

It was this ego that got me banned. I caused drama, I went too far with a little protest against the staff. I got banned. Permanently this time. I had no intention of coming back and I was lucky enough to not get IP banned, thankfully. I used my brother's account to throw a little huff and puff. However, the staff member who banned me got demoted some time later, and I figured "why the Hell not?" and I appealed, deciding I'd learnt my lesson and I truly did regret my actions. Long story cut short, I did - the appeal 'negotiations' were stuck in limbo for months as new staff members got took on and others were divided on the issue of my return (if you were one of these staff members, I hope I've resolved the issues you had with me :p). I got unbanned in-game around June-ish 2014, I think.

The next month I decided to apply for the contribution team as I felt I could actually contribute something - I think it was mainly the idea of the blog that attracted me, and the fact that I think I'm a pretty good writer (there's some of that ego for you :p) and love doing it. I'd never applied before, I just straight up demanded I be given the title previously (not my proudest moment), so I thought 'why not? The worst they can do is never give it to me'.

I was in my car, coming home from my holiday in August 2014, when I saw an inbox message from Krysyy asking if I still wanted to join, and I experienced happiness I never felt again until May of this year. I was amazed that I could be given such a title after everything I'd done, so soon after I was unbanned from a ban that was supposed to be forever and took months to convince staff to allow my return, as well as the way I'd previously acted about getting the position. I had a moment of hesitation and asked myself "do I really deserve this?" - after all, it's pretty prestigious, it had been my goal for months to get, and I'd some stupid stuff previously. I did, of course, say yes - there'd be added credibility (I don't understand this thought process anymore, but 14 year old me had it) to what I said when helping people, I could edit the wiki and fix things I saw wrong in it, I could write for the blog (never turned out well though), and as I said, it had been my goal to get it for a long time.

So, yeah, storytime over. Not really a 'why I joined the contribution team', but a story of how I ended up getting it :p

Tl;DR: I felt like I had something to contribute.
  3. another bump yo
  4. how did u discover emc, and what kept u 2 stay? ^.^

imma do dual-question! :)
  5. You confused me by posting the same post in both of our threads >.>
  6. My best friend and I were bored in class, on the computer, at school. We were discussing Minecraft. He asked if I wanted to play it with him. I was like yeah, and he told me to join smp3.empire.us and showed me the website (the teacher noticed and asked how it related to our projects lol). Played together that night, and for many nights afterwards. Made very fond memories of Skyping over the next 2 years. He actually contacted me about a year ago asking to Skype and play EMC again, but nothing came of it (we still talk though lol).

My sole reason for staying is addiction lol.
    AyanamiKun and 607 like this.
  7. Hw do you like potatoes?
  8. My Irish blood says 'very much'.

If you meant how I like them made, I like roast potatoes yo.
    607 likes this.
  9. I like em fryed, baked, roasted, pretty much any way.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  10. what are the first 30 digits of pi
  11. Favorite Steam game?

Game with the most hours on it?

Favorite game of all time? (includes every game you've ever played from childhood up until today)
    607 likes this.
  12. My discalculia is crying because of you. I could Google but that's cheating.
    • Fallout: New Vegas
    • Crusader Kings 2, but will probably be overtaken by Skyrim and New Vegas soon. (I play CK2 a lot, but I launch it without Steam so my hours aren't logged. I'm pretty sure I should be breaching the 1,000 hour mark soon...)
    • I don't have a favourite game of all time. It's a tie between Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and Shadow of the Colossus.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  13. Ah, interesting.
  14. Note about ego: it isn't a bad thing - on the contrary, having one is really good for you. The important thing a lot of people have to learn is to not let it effect your image. (Since, ironically, one of the least respectable things to do is to act like you should be respected)
    There's a caveat though - you should never ever let ego prevent you from trying something or from associating with someone.
    607, SoulPunisher and crystaldragon13 like this.
  15. I agree that having some amount of ego is good. Not respecting yourself or loving yourself in some kind of way is called depression. It's when you let it get out of control - disrespecting other people and thinking the world revolves around you - that it's bad.

Love yourself, love other people, acknowledge yours and other people's flaws, and do the best you can to fix your own.
    607 and crystaldragon13 like this.
  16. I don't really have a question for you but wanted to let you know that I've really enjoyed your answers to the questions especially the one concerning the contribution team. I've learned so much about you and by being so honest you've shown that there's always hope for your dreams to become a reality.
    Thanks and I'm really glad yer here and our whole community. <3
    607 and SoulPunisher like this.
  17. How do you feel about the OWSLA label?