Are there any ongoing griefing cleanup efforts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sj3vans, May 23, 2021.

1. I was reading an old post from 2019: Good Grief, that's a lot of Grief! | Empire Minecraft which was talking about cleaning up some of the griefing that has been done around outposts. As a relatively new member, I've been touring all the servers and I've seen some of that and wondered if it is ok for me to fix things where I can easily do so. These servers are amazing and I'd like to help keep them looking good. Is there any FAQ or guidance on that or is it just common sense thing? I don't want to get banned for removing a block left in the middle of a rail line because it was placed by someone else. I think I would be fine in that case as I'm obviously fixing something and not griefing. Any other suggestions or thoughts on this? Thanks.
    607 likes this.
  2. It's 100% OK to repair landscape, creeper holes, floating trees, messed up water.

Structures are another matter. If you can identify the original builder and contact them they may like to repair it themselves or they might give you permission to make repairs. Otherwise it's best to just leave it. Some original builders have been derelict for years but I think the policy is to just leave it in case they come back. It is a shame to see griefed buildings but I think it's almost inevitable when the world exists for so many years without being reset.

Since the last update a lot of different blocks auto-protect including grass blocks, podzol, saplings, flowers etc. So if you're doing repairs in an area you intend to leave for others to use then make sure you have buildmode off and noprotectmode on or a lot of things will get build protection and be unusable and uneditable by future players.
    607 likes this.
  3. Got it. When you say identify the original builder, I guess you mean to see if they posted it on a sign. But if there is no sign, is it allowable to break a block to see if its protected as that tells who owns it (and putting it back of course if its not protected)? Or is that strictly not allowed? That would allow doing a /whois to see if they are derelict, and if so I were particularly interested I could contact an admin to see if I could make changes. But perhaps its just best to leave that stuff alone and go build something new or help someone else with their builds.
    607 likes this.