anti greifing the wild

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cupcakekiller96, Feb 8, 2012.

?

Should Justin make a protection block?

yes 5 vote(s) 27.8%
no 14 vote(s) 77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ultimately it comes down to whether the EMC can handle whatever is implemented to stop griefing, and how convenient and effective that method is for the players.
    If we used protection blocks, we'd have the problem of the servers trying to keep up with all of the protected zones placed out in the wild.
    People would move out of the town and build independent villages in the wild. People would use these blocks while mining and exploring, then forget about them. Eventually there would be pockets of protected zones throughout the wild, preventing other miners and explorers from getting the full blown "survival experience", which some people come to EMC specifically for. It would also impede people who wanted to explore caves and terrain, or mine ores, etc. It would take the entire survival aspect out of the wilderness, a way to get past mob attacks, lava, long falls, etc.

As for the suggestion of being able to place a block and being able to gather information from that specific area; this would also take up server resources. The server would have to remember every action in that block area for a set amount of time, the names of the players who interacted with that block area, the time at which they interacted with it, etc. It would lead to a lot of false accusations (what if a miner accidentally mined into a mob spawner, fixed it, left, then someone came along and destroyed it?) .

EMC tries to communicate that griefing is not acceptable anywhere, at any time. There will always be people who disregard the rules, who are either ignorant of them, or who simply want to cause harm to other players. We'll always be trying to find more effective ways to catch and prevent griefing, but we have to find a way that works for the Empire.
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  2. no the can just break the chest then the items spill out
  3. they shouldn't be able to, if you lock a chest the chest and sign should be invulnerable to anyone but you.
    Crazy1080 likes this.
  4. I think this is a miscommunication here. I'm not suggesting using logblock, i read that. I'm posing that if - hypothetically - you would enable logblock or something alike it still wouldn't help on the issue when is something griefing in the wild.
    >Griefing a beautiful structure is obviously not allowed. (But why would u do that in the wild?)

> But what about utility structures like mineshafts that get expanded without the original creator's approval.
    U can't really mine anywhere without encountering other people's stuff ... Anyways, creating a hard no-griefing-rule and policing it would create a lot of discussion about what somebody calls griefing and another one calls expanding or improving etc. ... Just saying that.
  5. I don't think this is that ambiguous. Are you asking 'why would you do that in the wild' because you are curious? Or do you mean that as a declaration that there is no merit in building in the wild?

I'd refer you to my previous posts about fragility and beauty.
    Expanding someone's mine is clearly not griefing. 'Grief' is the key to all of this. Your example is of creation, griefing is that of destruction.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying they need their mineshafts protected from being expanded. We are all MC players here and know exactly what grief is.

These grey areas you are bringing up for discussion, aren't really that relevant in the context of the structures I think most people are referring to. Like their homes, farms, or art. I don't think any reasonable wild player would expect every bridge or mineshaft they build to be protected forever.
    XxBoWnZxX666 likes this.