An Open Letter to the Community

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kephras, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I see people leaving only because of all the rudeness in game. Sometime i see it myself. Recently, I saw an Empire Great leave because of the rudeness that he saw. It was a great loss to the Empire, and i hope nobody else leaves because of that.
  2. It would still be nice if staff could give a very short and very simplified version of what happened maybe?
    That way people won't feel like they're missing out of the truth
    FDNY21 and HylianNinja like this.
  3. If people wish to dig that up, let them do it themselves. It ispointless to post it here. This thread is not to rehash over things that happened or didn't happen. Isn't that what this thread is trying to convey? Emc is better than this. It is time to let it go.
    Damiensmom11, Olaf_C, Kephras and 3 others like this.

4. I also felt the need to chime in on this topic, although it's quite erroneous of me to act as if I had a totally clear perception of what has happened previous, I digress though. I have been here for only a short period of time and could already sense the tension and the unspoken cynical atmosphere lurking around the community. After much curiosity I decided to "snoop" around if you will to try and shed some light on the reasons why, and it didn't take long to find.

That being said, as much as we all get vested in our games and our personas online, there comes a point when you have to take a step back. Let me try and put things in perspective. The other night I was helping some friends make cookies for an event they were hosting. I’m in the kitchen and it’s just me and the ingredients. Instead of enjoying creating something and spending time with friends, I’m stirring the ingredients with a little too much force. The batter had gone flying all over the counter because I was upset; I was the one who was stirred up over something, replaying it in my head. Somebody had done or said something to set me off and I was going over it and over it and, yeah, over it. And, of course, now I can’t even tell as I write this what was bothering me so much. The good news is I caught myself. As I stared into the mixing bowl and watched as the ingredients ease into a smooth and creamy substance, I realized the irritating thoughts in my head that had me all stirred up weren't real. It was just in my head. All that was real were two things: 1) me standing in the kitchen attempting to make cookies, and 2) the ingredients in the bowl.

The moral or point I am trying to make it despite all of the tensions, arguments, selfish and heated opinions you have towards each other; are they truly worth causing yourself so much grief? Chances are probably not. We all just need to remember that this server, no community, was founded on the notion that we are all here to have fun and enjoying spending time with one another. Everything that this server has, and will, become is all due to a strong community that stays true to the sole notion that WE are in this TOGETHER. We can't let bitter pasts or discontent cause a sudden cease in that. At the end of the day when you hit disconnect, nothing may not have changed (for some yes they may have) but we should learn to put our egos aside and just be there for one another.

As I said I've only been here a short while and it seems like it's almost a chore of someone to go out a do something for someone else of be there for each other. But I've seen it's only in people who have a hard time letting past burdens go. No matter how hard you kick, yell, and scream nothing will change the event that had transpired; you should use them as a guide and attempt to change what the future holds. We should all follow a page out of a few people I've met on SMP5 (whom I won't mention specifically) who still despite all this hard time stay true to the aforementioned claim: go out and help one another, let's bring back the strength the community had to become as awesome as we are now. Say hi to people, don't be afraid to donate a player who is just starting out or take the time to help another player farm that "insert block here" that they need badly. This is just my two sense and take it for what you will.
  5. Thank you Keph! I have played here for 2years and some-odd days. I don't even remember because I couldn't stand to even look at EMC at one point. Everywhere I turned was just not the EMC I enjoyed anymore. I hated to get on and so removed it as my homepage, didn't even have it in my bookmarks bar. I had people constantly on my skype "OMG THIS WAS SAID" "OMG THIS PERSON IS A ______" and I was just sick of it. People I once considered friend, weren't anymore, people were leaving for stupid reasons. People causing drama for no reason.

We're all better than this, as you stated. Why not act like it please? We all have hardships in real life and EMC is a game, it's a way to escape from all that. It's a place to have fun. Please keep it that way.

Edit: Do as the poster above me's name implies and YA'LL QUIT! :p
    mba2012, highlancer54, FDNY21 and 4 others like this.
  6. High Five!
    Kephras and PandasEatRamen like this.
  7. Hey now! :3 I concur.
    Kephras and PandasEatRamen like this.
  8. Long Live The Empire #IDontKnowWhatTheHeckIsGoingOnButHashtagYoloSwagHashtagAmIRight!!!!1!!one!!one
  9. I thought / hoped this had all gone away but I guess some are still greving. My advice if you are finding it hard to deal with then take a break and move on. Remember one person does not make a server a community does be a part of it and have fun.
    Kephras likes this.
  10. I agree with him. I was on smp9 the other day and someone was just using every cuss word on someone. Shame I came looking for a server with kind people and this is what we turn into. Come on everyone lets keep this a good, fun environment for everyone! If anyone cuss they should be banned in my opinion. But maybe that is just me. Like if you agree AND ONLY IF YOU AGREE. Just to see who supports me. So i don't feel stupid saying so.
    weeh666 likes this.
  11. What banana?

I don't know what you're talking about...
    bloodra1n, battmeghs and Seffychan like this.
  12. Well said Kephras!:) Everyone in the community has their part and chooses to see the good or the bad. Let us all see the good of EMC and it will become better. Throwing hissy fits and trying to hurt others is not the solution. That is seeing the flaws in the Empire, and by doing so, you aren't as happy as you could have been. Everyone please listen to what Kephras said, for the Empire will be mended by kindness and forgiveness, not bitterness and hate.
    PandasEatRamen, Seffychan and Kephras like this.
  13. The further I got in this thread, the more confused I got. I couldn't finish reading the OP before I got caught up in one line which led to a diatribe about Champions: Return to Arms...

so I guess I learned nothing from any of this. I don't even know what "any of this" is about anymore. The repetition of being better than something or other was a bit grating, a bit stilted, and a lot melodramatic.

Of course, my opinion doesn't matter, I'm just a jaded fanfiction critic.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  14. I for one will be glad to see all of this silly drama end. I've said from day one that it's only hurting both sides. Hopefully, the official thread here and on our site will convince those involved to realize it will be more fun for them knowing they can safely play/talk about another close friendly with each other server, rather than having to do filters and freaking out.

The beauty of MC is you can have multiple server types and communities. Let's from this day show the world that both EMC and o.bam can not only co-exist, but get along as well!

I'd like to personally apologize to anyone whom may have taken anything I've said that might have offended them at any time. I had a bit of rage directed specifically at me for actions that sometimes I wasn't even aware were happening. I'm not one to negatively react on the spot to things, so I'm aware that it's possible I might have had a 'blackout moment' and said some things that came out the wrong way. If I were to say this whole thing didn't bring me to my stress limit, I'd be lying.

Here's to peaceful interactions from today on forward with everyone and be excited for Dragon Tombs. (I hear they're gonna be neat.)

<3

ICC
  15. I agree with Kephras, the rudeness needs to stop. Sometimes you need to keep things private. You don't need to freak out about things. If something you don't like happens either talk with the person who did it privately or with the staff, and when you talk to them or the staff, do it respectfully. The staff are good at their job, all it takes from you is patience.
    Kephras likes this.
  16. Just remember your words can never be taken back.
  17. I'm glad a name I've never seen wrote this, because I, myself, can relate to a fellow member, more than I can relate to someone of higher ranking in the community.
    roblikescake, bloodra1n and Kephras like this.
  18. Keep calm and carry on.
  19. This is the stuff that has me spending my time in real life... I don't have school or work taking up my time but I am exercising, cooking, talking to my wife and planning for my trip in 3 weeks.

I gave up on this community when everything began to fall apart. People lost their self respect and their respect for others long before this whole storm hit. It was a bubbling cauldron of poison that was slowly festering and mutating into this horrendous nightmare. I saw it when I stepped down from Moderator. I knew this day would come. Justin got out when the getting was good. He washed his hands of his project at its peak under his control.

I miss the old days, when Justin was able to spend time with us one-on-one. The day I joined, Jeremy taught me to put fencing under tilled soil to keep from destroying farms when jumping. He showed me his multi-tier farm way back in Beta Minecraft.... I made many Minecraft friends here. Few real friends I would ever speak to outside of this community and even that has drifted away for me.

I am fed up with the stuff. The future of EMC has only two directions: fame or obscurity. Do not drag the new community into the abyss of obscurity. If you have lost touch with the future of EMC, leave. Don't ruin this place for the new people. Aikar bought EMC outright. It is his to do with as he pleases. His choices, poor or proper, are the ultimate decision.

Those who continue to "GRIEF" EMC with their negativity and anger need to be banned as stated in the rules.

I have no strong ties to either EMC or bananas. However, my friends are in bananas and I tend to spend my time there, on the forums. I will continue to drop by on EMC once in a while. I am forever interested in the future of this Server and Community. I will not likely return to play, however.

I hope you all grow stronger and overcome this adversity by staying, going or being banned. A purge was inevitable and another will follow. This is only the first in the natural process of communities and organizations.

P.S. I passed all 5 classes - 3 As (96 English, 95 Computer, 90 Business Management Interpersonal Skills) 1 B (89 Business Management Managerial Skills), 1 C (72 College Algebra...)
    My GPA is 3.40 and this netted me 15 credit hours in my first semester.
    I was awarded my CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) @60% disability (ARMY Rating) which entitles me to Full Retirement Pay although I was Medically Retired with 8 years of service.
    My family and I are soon to be free of financial stress and one day I may return to work. I am working with a counsellor for my PTSD and the meds I am on right now are doing well by me. I hope it continues.

This is the end of my page... :)
    I hope you all find the joy that is meant to be found in EMC and Minecraft...... I miss the old days. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.