AFK Coasters: Are they allowed?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by margaritte, Feb 27, 2012.

1. yes, using anything to break the 15min idle kick rule is against the rules, you are creating something that basically exploits a weakness in the idle kicking system and taking a slot that another player who would actually play could use
  2. Perhaps this could be iron supporters too?
  3. I just jumped on my iPad, but I took screenshots before I logged out. I will report tomorrow.
  4. Is afking and coming back to move every 10 or so minutes considered exploiting as well?
  5. Up to Justin, but yeah why no?
    AlexChance and Brennian like this.
  6. D: i just saw this :(
  7. Can this system be remove for utopia wilderness?
    There are only gold and diamond supporter there. And i never see utopia get filled.
    Not even to half of it capacity.
  8. On SMP servers, whilst supporters are garunteed slots, the slots they use are unavailable for any non supporters that might want to be on. Basically if a supporter wants to get on and it says 60/60 online, the supporter will make it say 61/60 online, now when someone else logs off, it will go back to 60/60 online, and still be full for any non-supporter who might want to connect.

It's not so much about the slots as it is about the resources you use up whilst online (slots are just a method of rationing it). The resources used while spinning in a minecart loop are more or less the same as someone actually actively playing.
  9. My best is 13. Lol.
  10. Lol. I never reach 10
  11. That makes sense. Bah, I tore them down anyhow. I have noticed lately that none of the servers are full ALL of the time anymore, especially when I'm on before 6am (Pacific) like now, so hopefully Justinguy will disable idle kick when they aren't. That would make me a happy girl!
  12. Is it ok on utopia?
  13. Even on Utopia... I still don't believe it is fair. The player is not actually playing. And, as mentioned above... resources cost money. Bandwidth is not free. So, why should my donations get used to support someone exploiting the system?

Another question I brought up, and pose to you all... If I stumble across someone doing this. Do I have the right to kill the mobs they've generated? I mean, they aren't really using it...they aren't even there.
  14. Three words: yes, Yes, YES!!
  15. Give them a tell. "Do you have any objections to me killing all these mobs just sitting here?"
    If they don't reply they must not have any objections. Just make sure you leave the generator as you found it.
    Not sure if this is how the Mods would see it but if it happened with me (even without the tell) I would not report.
  16. In my personal opinion, I sorta agree with the above person, ask but give them a good bit of time to respond. Riding carts is sometimes part of a process to use an exp grinder.

Exp grinders you usually want to build a large pool for it then kill them all at once with splash potions. Killing them 1 by 1 as they spawn/drop is ineffective and a waste of resources.

Just because they are in a cart with a large pool doesn't mean they are AFK'ing for super long time. they could be chatting in game, in tell, or could of stepped away to the bathroom, or be in another game window (dual boxing).

Stepping away for 5 minutes to use the bathroom is perfectly fine. It wouldn't trigger the auto kick anyways.

If you think someone may be breaking the rules, use /report. Don't try to "take action against them" on your own will by killing their mobs.
    nnnnmc1 and bonzd67 like this.
  17. What if I made a coaster that went around the grinder and I hit mobs while circling around it?
    nnnnmc1 and nmanley like this.
  18. Then you're not really AFK. The whole issue behind this is people going AFK for hours while their monsters stack up which takes a precious server slot from people who want to actively play.
  19. And I thought the point of this was not to circumvent the idle kick timer?