Accidentally Updated? Read this

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Joshyy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. So you accidentally updated? Oh well, Here's how to fix it

For Mac and windows 7/vista (This does NOT work with Windows 8, Due to sheer idiocy of Microsoft, the feature was removed)

BACKUP YOUR .MINECRAFT FIRST!!!

Windows 7/vista

(Before you do this Backup!!!! (To do this when you get to step 1 just create a copy of your .Minecraft)

Ok. First thing you need to do is to open your AppData folder, You can do this by typing %appdata% (With the %) into the Start Menu and going to your 'Roaming folder'

Next you want to find the folder marked '.Minecraft' and double click it.

Now your in, Right click the 'bin' and select 'Properties'

Next you want to select Previous Versions

After it searches for previous versions it should come up with quite a few, Select one that is before you updated. (So if you Updated at 16:56 pick the newest one before that)

Then, Just apply and Ok and you should have your Jar back :)

MAC

NOTE: The following method only works if you have a backup drive enabled

How to do it if you have Time Machine enabled:

1. Open the bin folder.
    2. Go to Applications and click on Time Machine. Your desktop will appear to slide up, with a lot of windows and a galaxy behind. Scroll though the windows until you find a backup before you updated to 1.3.
    3. Click the window. The bin folder will restore, and you'll be back in 1.2.5!

A tip for all OSes: If you have some space to spare, before you update in the future, drag the old jar to a folder. That way, you can swap jars if you need them or feel nostalgic in the future.

Thanks to SpaceShuttleFan for the info on how to do it on a mac.

LINUX

There is no way to revert a file in Linux, You'll have to use MCnostalgia.

FAQs

Q. Why not just use MCNostalgia
    A. MCNostalgia downloads over 100MB's of Jar files to your PC which can take a while. This provides a much faster and easier alternative and also allows you to keep your mods.

Q. It doesn't work. There is no Older versions in the previous options tab.
    A. You need to turn on System Restore so in future it will work. But you will have to use MCNostalgia this time.

Q. ZOMG@!@! I lost my Bin folder I hate you@!
    A. I told you to backup >.<

Q. Does this work in linux?
    A. There is no way to revert a file in Linux, You'll have to use MCnostalgia.

Q. What is that 'D1223m folder'
    A. D12223m's Improved chat http://empireminecraft.com/threads/making-a-minecraft-mod-like-improved-chat.5085/
    More to come as they get asked :)
  2. Also you can try the MCNostalgia or the MCLauncer (Your only 2 options on Mac and Linux)
  3. Are there any alternatives should the jar be lost?
  4. MCNostalgia
    Twitch1 likes this.
  5. Added in the FAQs. so I can put your questions there.
  6. What is this d1223m folder I am seeing...
    Nole972 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. d1223m is improving upon Improved Chat for the EMC community :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. d1223m is making hacks that are undetectable by EMC.
    jkjkjk182, Jeanzl2000 and Robbo77 like this.
  9. Both are plausible. :p
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  10. On Linux, the Minecraft folder is "home/.minecraft" (without the quotes). By default, it is a hidden folder so you have to find the method for showing hidden folders (different linux distros may have different methods). Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to revert except for doing a Google search for the 1.2.3 .jar file, deleting "home/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar" and replacing it with the one you found. I would strongly recommend that right after any MC update, you navigate to the ".minecraft/bin" and make a copy of the minecraft.jar file so that in the future, reversion will be simple.

There are launchers that allow you to have multiple .jar files as well and doing a Google search for one of those may prove useful. I'm not sure if using said launcher to download older .jar files is completely legal, though, so I use one strictly to maintain legally downloaded .jar files from Minecraft.net.
  11. MCNostalgia goes to 1.2.2.......

I burned my comp today :) - so i had to install all over again.

Can someone give me a link to something that will allow me to downgrade?
    Happyshopper likes this.
  12. Bumped up because 1.3 is out.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. read the FAQ
    IPwnCreeps likes this.
  14. Hmm. I can live without EMC for a week.
    I think...
  15. Wow. You are a very generous person. You made a whole thread with pictures and all for the people who can't listen. I would have been like "Your fault that you can't listen to a post that has been on the front page of the site for DAYS." haha :p

Edit: I'm sorry if this offended anyone in any way but honestly it annoys me when people don't listen. That post made by admins and mods themselves has been there since July 27th telling you not to update. Even players in game are like "Do not update..."
  16. then you said to me about modifing the client! spu!
  17. What? This doesn't 'modify' the client, It simply reverts it back to a state that it was in before.
  18. On the Mac, if you have Time Machine enabled:

1. Open the bin folder.
    2. Go to Applications and click on Time Machine. Your desktop will appear to slide up, with a lot of windows and a galaxy behind. Scroll though the windows until you find a backup before you updated to 1.3.
    3. Click the window. The bin folder will restore, and you'll be back in 1.2.5!

(DISCLAIMER: I compiled this from my knowledge of Macs. I'm stranded at the airport, so I can't try this. If it doesn't work, tell me.)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    A tip for all OSes: If you have some space to spare, before you update in the future, drag the old jar to a folder. That way, you can swap jars if you need them or feel nostalgic in the future.
  19. I'll add this to the main post. Thanks!
  20. Mods, sticky this please! :p This is actually quite a neat way of doing it. You don't need to install a bunch of programs. I always back up my .jar files before updating (I even have it on the alpha version I bought Minecraft on :p)
    ZBSDKryten likes this.