Ability to lock doors/buttons

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by laptev, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hello!

I am suggesting the ability to put lock signs on doors and buttons, to keep people out. This would be very useful and would save me a ton of time and energy.
    607 and ConductorConduit like this.
  2. I believe this is already possible in town. Are you referring to the frontier?
    607 likes this.
  3. [Assuming this means frontier.]
    This would be too easy to bypass. With a door, someone could just mine around it, and with a button they could find some other way to bypass the button and activate it some other way.

However, I see the benefits of using this in specific use cases (i.e., a building that's completely buildmoded). +0
    607 likes this.
  4. like with frontier nether highways that would be usefull, i agree with this
  5. I just thought of this like 15 minutes ago and I particularly agree with this suggestion. You can build mode a area and the only way to get in is though the locked doors. Since not being able to pull items from a locked chest, having a secure room without players being able just to waltz in and take whatever they like is a big benefit for large private farms.

Lockette is very similar of how locked chests, other containers (I.E furnaces, brewing stands, anvils), and beacons are locked in EMC and I wouldn't be surprised if the coding is similar. I am assuming this would how it would work with doors.

Start at 3:17

Here is some changes for EMC from lockette if you finished the video where I set the timestamp:

Double doors can be locked but will not have the feature what lockette has and opens both doors at the same time. I don't think adding the Timer function is necessary either.

As for the iron door, the door properties do not change. The player who locked the door and players who were given permissions to the lock are only players able to change any redstone input within 3x3x4 (WxDxH) area where the iron door is. This also follows the wooden door properties as well. If a double door, the area of the redstone input will be wider by +2. (5x3x4)
    HazardousCode and 607 like this.
  6. waffle- Yes, this is for frontier, and yes it would be used for a fully buildmoded room, as a way to keep people out. sure there are other ways to active Redstone signals, but I really don't think people would care enough to if its at an outpost. Locking people out of rooms would be extremely nice, to keep random people from looking around/getting in the way.
    607 likes this.
  7. Its rather useless, through lag, glitching (purposely or accidentally), enderpearls, teleport fruit, redstone signals the suggestion can be easily bypassed. Yes, it would be nice, but it does not guarantee the objective of the suggestion. My suggestion to your problem is just build farther away if you want to be alone in the /wild
  8. I would be willing to implement locking to prevent those from being broken. But I do not want us to change any redstone mechanics. Redstone is already a laggy mess in Minecraft, adding extra code around that area is not a good idea.
    In regards to the locking preventing access to click on beds/doors. I do not see lock signs being the appropriate tool. The primary purpose of the lock sign is for container protection.
    Ultimately, as Tuq mentioned, There are vanilla methods for going through walls (Chorus Fruit).
    607 likes this.
  9. So how would iron doors work?
    True, however having at least having some type of locking ability anyway will fend off 75% of the curious ones from entering a area they weren't supposed to
  10. IDK Conducter I think only chicken would know
  11. I don't understand your question.
    And blocking access to areas of the wild is not a supported mechanic
    Bunjimon likes this.
  12. To regards to iron doors, how would you implement locking them since they need a redstone input? Since you already mentioned it about not messing with the redstone, I am just curious if you would even add locking abilities to iron doors.

Blocking off areas like using buildmode to prevent players from breaking into a area. Simply put, a safe room or secure room. That's what I meant
  13. Locking iron doors would be the same as buildmode...
    That's also what locking levers, buttons, and wooden doors be.
    In other words.... Use buildmode
  14. I know key locks are a pain in the butt to make but. There is some Benifits of a key lock. Exhibit 1 can have thousands of people have the some key. With locked doses you can put friends but you would have to friend everyone. Exhibit 2 there really isent that much cost for it. Exhibit 3 keylocks are so advanced this days that the only thing you need is 2competitor, 2 droppers, 2 hoppers, some redstone dust, and a some other things. If you buildmode correctly it’s nearly impossible to get into the doar provided you are careful of who you give the key too. Just my thought if you want I can show you a key lock
    Tuqueque and 607 like this.