A compass that points north

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Robobozo, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I'd like to suggest two new options for the /compass command. The first is "/compass north", which would cause the compass to point north, as one would intuitively expect. This option would eliminate the need to keep the cluttered F3 screen open when determining direction.

The second option is "/compass here" or "/compass loc", which would set the compass to the player's current location. This option would replace the practice of issuing a /loc command followed by punching in the player coordinates to the "/compass set" command.

Thank you!
    Jelle68, 607, TomvanWijnen and 4 others like this.
  2. +1 I see the reason for this being practical.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. +33.9092816982
    Merek_Shadower and Equinox_Boss like this.
  4. Seems very reasonable, +1 Mil
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. +86400 This sounds awesome, it would be especially helpful in the end where theirs no live map.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. +1, pretty good idea.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. +1 This Would Be Great =3
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Not 100% sure,

You can see north with f3,
  11. +2 (+1 for both suggestions :D).

I'm a huge fan of the customized compass, and this feature is (more or less) already implemented (try using /loc, you'll see what I mean), so I think it makes sense to add it into the compass as well.

I also think that /compass here would be an awesome command to have because it'll allow you to (more easily) find your way back.

Although true, the idea behind the custom compass is that you no longer have to stare at those coordinates anymore. Finding your death point for example no longer requires to check those coordinates, just follow your compass.
    607 likes this.
  12. +1. The seconds that this would save not having to poke f3 and look for one of eight letter combos in a big jumbled mess of white text may get me to actually start using compasses. :p
  13. This sounds fairly doable.
  14. Congrats OP, you just changed EMC for the better. :)
    ShelLuser and Merek_Shadower like this.
  15. -1? Doesn't the current compass show directions/coordinates? I'm probably wrong; I don't use compasses that much. :/
  16. Love this Chickeneer!!! Thank You for looking into this seriously!
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. As far as I know, the current compass only points towards 0,0, or whatever coords you told it to via the /compass command.
  18. Fyi, the way we will do it. Is set the compass to a coordinate to a location very far north or whatever direction you want. It will essentially do what you are requesting.
    So you can do this manually, before we add in a shortcut command.
    607 and Merek_Shadower like this.
  19. I understand why you feel that way but as you stated you don't use the compass. It is an essential tool for every minecrafter that wonders way off the map to become the the 1st pioneer if you will. This change will / would eliminate a lot of clutter on screen and help a player stay in line with his direction. I only wish I thought of the idea. lol. I still venture old school and this would help a lot of people that uses the compass.

How can you give it a -1 when you don't even use it? How fair is that rating?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.