[Suggestion] Give banners the same protection as written books

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi gang!

Banners are here (for some time now, I know) and this means that there are quite some players out there who show some amazing design skills. I know; I've seen plenty of banners which I thought were very impressive.

But there is one problem: you can easily copy banners yourself. No matter what kind of banner, you can copy it. However, out of respect for all our banner designers I will keep quiet here (and request that you do the same), and instead I'll direct you to the Minecraft wiki on Gamepedia. (http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/). Those guys will explain it all.

SO yeah: I know books are protected on the Empire (and rightfully so!), and that got me thinking.

Would it be possible to protect banners from copying just like books are currently protected? I think it would make our banner market a lot more fair and it also seems more fair to all our banner designers.
    Kytula likes this.
  2. It does take a bit of time, but you could decipher what is put on the banner by looking at it.
    Then you'd just make your own copy and duplicate that to your heart's content.
  3. True, but perhaps that option could be made harder by having this lock. I could imagine that you wouldn't be able to wash of any colors for example. That might slow things a bit down.
  4. It takes a bit of time, as ivanivanchenchen said.

Also, players do show great designs! I've made a few, and people will pay me like 5.5 MillionR for them!

Yes, players could copy banners. So, Mojang would have to do something about that. Buy heres the thing, if they copy it, they may just be using the banner for a design.

Yes... books are protected on EMC, well, unless somebody did something with [admin+]...

I don't know if this is a possibility, it could be though!

Edit: You can make your own banners on a website; like this one. -->Link<-- and it will tell you what to craft for that banner because that is your own design! So, I don't think it's necessary.
  5. I don't think it's necessary. It's pretty easy to look at a banner and see exactly how it was made, and there are even online tools (like this one) that allow the player to test out different banner designs so that they don't waste ingame resources figuring it out.
  6. +1

Being that I have a (Small, planning to make Larger one) Banner Shop, it kinda saddens me when I see people buy them just to copy them and sell them for 2 times the Price I do, With this, itd encourage people to Actually make unique Designs, instead of Copying.
  7. I strongly agree with the point i find this wouldnt be a needed feature on the empire because banners are very cool and if say i wanted a copy of a company logo banner i don't want to waste materials on it when i can easily copy ir
  8. i thought books were protected by vanilla? i know the idea of book protection was mentioned pre- book copying but i think mojang solved that in the release? i could be misinformed.

if there was a way to prevent copying that aikar made i dont see why it couldnt be implemented on banners. i just think it has a smaller use so like +2 -1
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. Books have a signing code that prevents the copying of the book. Banner designs are not protected by any type of code and someone simply looking at your design can figure out how to make it. You can't look at a book and remake it exactly because it has the signature that distinguishes the creator.

I understand the want to keep your designs proprietary, but most designs are already available for people to 'steal' from the internet. Us protecting them would be like creating a copyright for building a big blue TARDIS on your res without my permission; impractical. Unless Mojang makes this change, you likely won't see it on the Empire.
    Kytula and ShelLuser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.